Did you know there are time limitations by which to make certain claims when it comes to a personal injury resulting from an accident?
Getting hurt in a car, motorcycle or ATV accident, or suffering an injury as a result of a slip and fall can lead to unexpected costs. You may need time off work, you may have unexpected medical bills or you might even require additional assistance and care to carry out your normal daily tasks.
You may be eligible to receive compensation to cover these costs, but there are important dates you need to follow in order to access funding.
Many individuals in this position find the idea of keeping track of these deadlines overwhelming. At Fosters Law, we make sure our clients don’t have to worry about these details – we help make every step of this process as stress-free as possible. We’ll guide you through all the steps so you don’t miss a single deadline and help you get the coverage and compensation you deserve.
Claims resulting from a car, motorcycle or ATV injury
There are statutes of limitations when it comes to motor vehicle accidents. Here’s a timeline to follow after an accident:
- Right away: Contact the authorities right after the accident happens. Depending on your situation, they’ll send police, firefighters, or an ambulance to help. You’ll also want to collect the names and contact information of the other parties involved as well as potential witnesses. If you’re able, you might also wish to take some photos at the scene of the accident.
- As soon as possible: Contact Fosters Law to help guide you through the legal process. We take the time to understand your situation and help you every step of the way. We manage all forms and paperwork related to your case and can even help you choose an appropriate treatment provider.
- Within seven days: Report the accident to your car insurance provider. If you do not have insurance, report it to the insurer of any vehicle involved in the accident. Fosters Law can assist you in identifying available insurance after an accident, if you are unsure what to do.
- Within 30 days: Complete and send in your accident benefits application. This application can include several forms depending on your situation — all of which we can help you navigate. Take a look at our blog where we discuss everything you need to know about these forms.
- Within 120 days: You have 120 days after the accident to let the driver(s) involved know that you’re filing a lawsuit against them. If 120 days have passed since your accident, contact the lawyers at Fosters Law without delay. There are exceptions to every rule and this rule is no exception!
- Within two years: You have two years to file your lawsuit against the at-fault driver. Again, there are some very limited exceptions to this rule, so feel free to discuss your particular circumstance with Fosters Law even if it has been more than two years since your accident.
Sometimes accidents are caused by road conditions. Some accidents may be the result of a slippery or improperly kept road that a municipal or provincial government should have maintained. These kinds of accidents have their own statute of limitations and very tight timelines for action:
- Within ten days: If you were in a motor vehicle accident caused by a slippery or damaged municipal road, you have ten days to report a claim to the city.
- Within two years: You have two years to file a lawsuit in court if you were in a motor vehicle accident caused by a slippery or damaged municipal or provincial road.
Claims resulting from other personal injury accidents
There are also deadlines in place for other kinds of personal injury accidents, such as slip and falls, assaults or medical malpractice. Most of these types of claims have a statute of limitations of two years.
However, some lawsuits will require you to notify the other party within a specific timeframe. For example, if you fall on a city sidewalk and hurt yourself you have ten days to notify the municipal government of the accident. The experienced trial lawyers at Fosters Law LLP are accessible, ethical, compassionate, and diligent while using a common-sense approach to the practice of law. Every case is approached with the goal of reaching a cost-effective and timely resolution that reflects the client’s best interest. often achieved without the necessity of going of trial.
Talk to a Lawyer
The experienced trial lawyers at Fosters Law LLP are accessible, ethical, compassionate, and diligent while using a common-sense approach to the practice of law. Every case is approached with the goal of reaching a cost-effective and timely resolution that reflects the client’s best interest. often achieved without the necessity of going of trial.
These timelines can vary. Working with experienced personal injury lawyers, like the team at Fosters Law, means you don’t need to navigate these complexities on your own.
Never miss a deadline
If you’ve been injured in an accident, chances are you’ve got more than enough to handle. The personal injury and insurance experts at Fosters Law are here to do whatever we can to get you back to your normal, including ensuring you don’t miss any deadlines in reporting accident details, submitting forms and applications, or starting a lawsuit Fosters Law will be happy to help you through this stressful time and get you the treatment, assistance and compensation you deserve.